- This event has passed.
Advent Season 2021
November 28, 2021 - December 23, 2021
Advent– Word with Latin roots, meaning “coming.” Christians of earlier generations spoke of “the advent of our Lord” and of “His second advent.” The first phrase refers to God’s becoming incarnate in Jesus of Nazareth. The latter phrase speaks of Jesus’ second coming.
Advent marks a time for Christians to REFLECT on The Incarnation (God in Flesh – Emmanuel)
- Past His Virgin Birth
- Present- His Continual, Active Presence Today
- Future- His Return, The “Rapture”
Symbols & Significance
The display of Advent Wreaths and the lighting of Advent Candles is primarily a congregational practice, though some families maintain this tradition. There are four candles of color formed in a circle, with a white candle in the center. Each week a new candle is lit. The five candles also have special meaning.
- The first candle (purple) is the candle of Hope.
- The second candle (purple) is the candle Peace.
- The third candle (pink) is the candle of Joy.
- The fourth candle (purple) and it is the candle of Love.
- The fifth candle, which is white, is traditionally lighted on Christmas Eve. This is the Christ candle.
Purple has traditionally been the primary color of Advent, symbolizing repentance and fasting. Purple is also the color of royalty, demonstrating the anticipation and reception of the coming King.
The color pink represents joy or rejoicing and reveals a shift in the season away from repentance and toward celebration.